924 Gilman is:
1. A DIY, nonprofit venue for music, art, and community events
2. A cultural landmark since 1986 that continues to inspire similar spaces globally
3. An all-ages, volunteer-run, drug and alcohol-free safe space
4. A multigenerational, independent collective
5. A place for young people to work cooperatively
924 Gilman has no “owner”, no co-owner, and no money coming in from anywhere except the front door and your donations. It’s operated by the 501(c)(3) nonprofit Alternative Music Foundation, that’s baby-sat by three “corporate officers” who are long time Gilman volunteers. What they do is ceremonial. The membership meeting decides the actual course of events at Gilman. To say it another way; YOU, with your voice & vote, at the meeting, run the place.
Membership meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month, 5PM, at 924 Gilman. Anyone is welcome to attend.
Official Fundraising Site: helpgilman.org
Help keep underground music, art, and activities alive by giving. Donations can be made using PayPal, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover. You may also send a check payable to:
ALTERNATIVE MUSIC FOUNDATION, P.O. BOX 1058, BERKELEY, CA 94710.
Your donation may be tax-deductible and supports two specific goals: 1) to try to own the building, 2) to lower the door price for shows.